Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Jimmy V

So I have told you all before that I am a "crier". Well, now my fellow Gold's Gym members know it. Picture this: I am getting onto the treadmill and instead of changing the TV to Bravo! per usual, it is on ESPN and they are discussing the upcoming Georgia vs. LSU game so I leave the TV alone. About half way through my run, ESPN begins a feature focusing on "Jimmy V". Jim Valvano was a championship winning coach at N.C. State in the early 1980's, he went on to serve as the Athletic Director there and then worked as a basketball analyst for ESPN. At the young age of 46 he was diagnosed with cancer. In March 1993, he was presented with the Arthur Ashe Award for Courage at the first ESPY's, announced the formation of The V Foundation For Cancer Research and gave this speech:


I was bawling. I had to slow the treadmill to a walk and then stop it completely. The women on either side of me were definitely concerned. Then I obviously came home and tried to describe this episode to Sam but couldn't do it justice. It brought some much needed enthusiasm to my day and I hope you all enjoy as well. Thanks for reading & watching!

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment