Saturday, February 12, 2011

"My name is Thomas"

My dad told me this story Thursday night and I could not wait to share. Thomas, a sophomore at the local high school was on a ski trip with his Boy Scout Troop in Asheville, N.C.. Not skiing very fast, Thomas was on the "bunny slope" and for no apparent reason, fell into the snow and was unable to move. He was rushed to a local hospital where it was discovered that Thomas had suffered a massive brain trauma; all of the nerves in the back of Thomas' brain had "sheared".

Thomas was then transported to the trauma unit at Grady Hospital in Atlanta, GA. My dad explained to me that for the past few days Thomas has been breathing from a ventilator, eyes closed, and unresponsive. Following a very powerful (and crowded, according to my father) prayer meeting at the church, there has been a continuous outpouring of love, prayer, and support from the community as Thomas' family was clinging to any and all positive news from his doctors.

For no obvious reason [miracle], Thomas' eyes opened and he began to respond to the doctors' commands, "stick out your tongue", "blink your eyes", etc.. Thomas' doctors then asked him, "Do you know your name?", he responded "My name is Thomas".

Amazing. Amazing for Thomas, his family, his doctors, the church, and a spectacular example of the power of prayer and hope. His name is Thomas.

Thanks for reading!

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment