Monday, June 6, 2011

"The eyes of the world are upon you"

So I know that I often let my major history nerd self shine through and today is no different. June 6th, 2011 marks the 67th anniversary of D-Day; the Allied invasion of France. Around Thanksgiving I told you all about the desire to visit Normandy and after reading several articles and watching multiple interviews with various veterans earlier this evening I am only more determined to make it there one day. I am reminded of the enormity of this day and the effect that it had on the outcome of WWII, America as a foreign power, and our lives still today. I am also in awe of the men participated in the invasion that day; boys essentially Blair's age and often times younger, two of them being my grandfathers. Anniversaries like this remind me to attempt to act with the sort of integrity and courage that would have made them proud and for that I will be forever grateful.

"I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory"- General Dwight D. Eisenhower's Order of the Day June 6, 1944
Thanks for reading!

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment