Thursday, November 18, 2010

Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

The above phrase is obviously the Latin translation of "Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon". These are the words at the bottom of the Hogwarts crest...Yep, I am a Harry Potter nerd.
YESSSSS!
In my defense I did not start out this way, I actually started out as a non-believer, constantly ridiculing Laura and my other cousins when they would go to the St. Simons bookstore at midnight every summer to pick up their copies of whichever book was being released. Somewhere along the way I crossed over and made a pro/con list at my desk of reasons to go or not go see the midnight premiere of the 7th movie when it is released tonight. However, since I will be on the road for a few hours after work tomorrow, I think I might have to settle for listening to the 7th book on tape in the car in an effort to brush up on the plot line and my wizarding terminology...

I am fascinated (this post is clearly helping with my previously mentioned nerd status) with the "Wizarding World" as Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling has created an entire cast of characters, some of which are never even mentioned in the book, language, and locations that truly do bring Harry's journey to life. This is a series with a group of passionate followers. I may or may not have even gotten into a heated debate with one of friends in our college dining hall about whether or not Severus Snape was really a villain. I won, in case you were wondering.

In any case, here is the New York Times review of the movie and the trailer...

http://movies.nytimes.com/2010/11/19/movies/19harry.html?ref=harry_potter

http://harrypotter.warnerbros.com/harrypotterandthedeathlyhallows/mainsite/index.html

So, thank you to my sister to giving me back some imagination and sorry to my roommates who have had to listen to me talk about this for weeks now. Thanks for reading!

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment