Monday, November 29, 2010

Selma Says...

For those of you who don't know, Selma is my Grandmother. My mom's mother is an extremely lively 88 year-old, raised in Savannah (Blair likes to talk to Grandmother because she pronounces his name "Blay-ah"). Grandmother loves to paint, offer "constructive criticism" when she pleases, Reader's Digest, and anything on TCM. After spending some much-needed time with Grandmother over the Thanksgiving weekend, I thought this would be the perfect time to share some "Selma-isms" with you all...

Grandmother has a dog, his name is Cooper (She of course, says "Coop-ah"). Cooper has "his chair" that he sleeps in all day and no one else is allowed to sit there, Blair tried to sit there once, mistake. Grandmother also recently got a cat, "Looney" suitably named because this animal certifiably insane. Looney has been known to scale up Grandmother's legs while she is cooking at the stove and would not think twice about clawing your eyes out. Grandmother often tells Looney to be nice to her brother, Cooper...

Grandmother has also been wearing the same shade of red lipstick, courtesy of Revlon, for as long as I can remember and the cousins now like to compare our lipstick stamps that she gives us when she kisses each of us on the cheek. We also now refuse to wipe them off. It is a great game.

Like I said, Grandmother is also an avid reader and over Thanksgiving I returned her George Washington biography that she was kind enough to let me borrow. She then proceeds to tell me that I should really borrow her Robert E. Lee biography as he was "her personal hero". Grandmother has also been known to blame Atlanta traffic on Sherman's March to the Sea. Classic.

Friday night as my cousin Dan was flipping through the channels, he breezed past TNT which was showing "The Wizard of Oz". This was not what Dan, an avid sports lover wanted to watch but Grandmother instructed him that if he changed the channel she would "beat him". We watched "The Wizard of Oz".

Chick-Fil-A is her favorite "window food" (That is "Grandmother" for fast-food)

There are many more stories that I could share, like how when she saw my haircut on Thanksgiving she promptly asked "Why do you keep cutting your hair?". Always a fan of honesty. Quirks aside, she is truly the matriarch of our family, we all love her very much, and I am always eager to go home to see her...and eat Chick-Fil-A. Thanks for reading!

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment