1. November 9, 1862: General Ambrose Burnside assumes command of the Union Army. General Burnside thought himself unworthy of this position. This was not a completely unwarranted feeling as he finished 18th out of 20 with his graduating class at West Point. Officers soon rebelled against Burnside and he was replaced General Joseph Hooker almost two months later. Great facial hair, bad general. Can't win 'em all.
3. November 9, 1965: "The Great Northeast Blackout" occurred when all of New York State, 7 surrounding states, and parts of Canada were without power for hours. The blackout occurred at the height of rush hour, trapping 800,000 in the city's subways. I bet it smelled just like roses.
4. November 9, 2001: The Kodak Theatre, the home of the Oscars opens. Where is my trophy?
|And the Oscar goes to...THE BIRTHDAY GIRL!|
6. November 9, 1620: Pilgrims aboard the Mayflower spot land at Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Maybe that makes up for #5? Ok maybe not.
|"I can't believe the Beatles broke up. This winter is going to be the pits."|
8. November 9, 1993: The Dave Matthews Band releases their first album.
9. Famous people also born on November 9th: Lou Ferrigno ("The Hulk"), golfer David Duval, Sisqo, Nick Lachey, and Eric Dane.
|Just for you Mom.|
11. The 24th Amendment states prohibits both Congress and the states from conditioning the right to vote in federal elections on payment of a poll tax or other types of taxes...um, English please?
12. Grover Cleavland served as the 24th President of the United States. Hail to the chief.
13. "The Godfather" is the 24th highest grossing movie released in the United States.
|I can't refuse birthday cake.|
15. In another poll, "Gone with the Wind" is the 24th greatest American novel. I don't know why its not in the top ten and frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.
16. Jack Bauer. DUH.
|I can wish you "Happy Birthday" all day long because my phone never runs out of battery.|
18. I still have one year until I am a quarter of a century old. Phew!
19. I know with 100% certainty that none of my presents will be from the Limited Too this year.
20. Unfortunately I will not be attending Disney on Ice as I did for several years on my birthday.
|Magical. Sorry for the years of torture Dad.|
22. Maybe this will be the birthday when I finally get an an ice cream cake from Dairy Queen. One can only dream.
23. One year at my Halloween themed birthday party (a little late, I know) we bobbed for apples and I hated it/threw a mini temper tantrum because I wasn't good at it. I was too old for all of the previous activities.
24. Re-watching some old home videos I am ripping through presents and not thanking anyone (in my defense, I was 3) and am throwing aside books and clothes to get to a Barbie. Some things never change.
Sorry this is so long. I really do love birthdays and am very excited to celebrate with friends tomorrow and can't wait to add to the list next year, thanks for reading!